|“||[m]ay take forms such as blueprints, plans, diagrams, models, formulae, tables, engineering designs and specifications, manuals and instructions written or recorded on other media or devices such as disk, tape, read-only memories.||”|
|“||[is] [r]ecorded information (regardless of the form or method of the recording) of a scientific or technical nature (including computer software documentation) relating to supplies procured by an agency. The term technical data does not include computer software code or financial, administrative, cost or pricing, or management data; nor does it include other information incidental to contract administration.||”|
|“||[is] [r]ecorded information related to experimental, developmental, or engineering works that can be used to define an engineering or manufacturing process or to design, procure, produce, support, maintain, operate, repair, or overhaul material. The data may be graphic or pictorial delineations in media such as drawings or photographs, text in specifications or related performance or design type documents, or computer printouts. Examples of technical data include research and engineering data, engineering drawings, and associated lists, specifications, standards, process sheets, manuals, technical reports, catalog-item identifications, and related information and computer software documentation.||”|
|“||[is] [i]nformation, other than software, which is required for the design, development, production, manufacture, assembly, operation, repair, testing, maintenance, or modification of defense articles. This includes information in the form of blueprints, drawings, photographs, plans, instructions and documentation. Specific examples include: Classified information relating to defense articles and services; information covered by an invention secrecy order; and software directly related to defense articles.||”|
- U.S. Export Administration Regulations, Part 772 (15 C.F.R. §772.1).
- DFARS § 252.227-7013(a)(15). See also 41 U.S.C. §403(8).
- AR 70-11, App. A.
- Glossary of Security Terms, Definitions, and Acronyms, at 240.
U.S. government contracting (military):
- DFARS 252.227-7013 Rights in Technical Data--Noncommercial Items.
- DFARS 252.227-7014 Rights in Noncommercial Computer Software and Noncommercial Computer Software Documentation.
- DFARS 252.227-7015 Technical Data–Commercial Items.
- DFARS 252.227-7016 Rights in Bid or Proposal Information.
- DFARS 252.227-7017 Identification and Assertion of Use, Release, or Disclosure Restrictions.
- DFARS 252.227-7019 Validation of Asserted Restrictions--Computer Software.
- DFARS 252.227-7028 Technical Data or Computer Software Previously Delivered to the Government.
- DFARS 252.227-7030 Technical Data--Withholding of Payment.
- DFARS 252.227-7037 Validation of Restrictive Markings on Technical Data.