A fault is
- "a condition that causes a device or system component to fail to perform in a required manner."
- "[a] weakness of the system that allows someone to circumvent protective controls."
|“||1. A defect in a hardware device or component; for example, a short circuit or broken wire. 2. An incorrect step, process, or data definition in a computer program.||”|
- Department of Defense, National Computer Security Center, Glossary of Computer Security Terms (NCSC-TG-004, Ver. 1) (Oct. 21, 1988).
- Auditing and Financial Management: Glossary of EDP Terminology, at 8.
- IEEE, IEEE Standard Glossary of Software Engineering Terminology (IEEE Std 610.12-1990) (1990) (full-text).